Strength comes from unity.
Protection comes from VRMA.
Retailers must realize that the battle against threatening legislation and taxes will become more difficult in years to come. The retail industry must maintain its unity and strength at the grassroots level to wage those battles successfully. Our strength lies in our members being a unified front with a well heard voice.
VRMA... Your partner in retailing. Virginia Retail Merchants Association, the professional association of the Virginia retail industry was founded for the purpose of improving the business climate for the retail industry in Virginia. Our members are as diverse as the products they sell. We represent all size retailers across the commonwealth.
Benefits + Services
Membership doesn't cost... it pays! Save on shipping and credit card processing. Offer you employees group rate benefits at no cost to you. Invest in your employees with high quality, low cost training hundreds of retailers are already using. We have a program for every retailer - so start saving today!
Protecting your future - VRMA is your voice. The VRMA has been serving the retail community in the legislative arena since 1905. Our strong presence before the General Assembly and throughout the year before its various committees and the states' administrative bodies has made the VRMA the most influential association that works solely on behalf of the retail industry. We have 7 registered lobbyists and each year we influence hundreds of important issues.
The Retail Industry is the largest private employer in the state. The sales tax applied to our industry is the largest single contributor to Virginia's budget. With over 100,000 retailers in Virginia we are the life blood of the Commonwealth.
Making connections and keeping you informed. Mark your calendar and register for VRMA's upcoming events or check for important dates such as sales tax holidays.
- Combined Sales Tax Holidays - August 4-7, 2017
Virginia Retail Merchants Association
1025 Boulders Parkway, Suite 110
N. Chesterfield, VA 23225
Phone: (804) 649-0789
Fax: (804) 644-8762
Be a part of it! As a member of VRMA we keep you up to date. As a member you receive access to this section. Review recent legislative action, VRMA's legislative positions, important archives, and other resources, like the It’s the Law section.
What Retail Means to Virginia
- Retail is an $85 billion industry in Virginia.
- It is the second largest employer in the Commonwealth, providing over 540,000 jobs.
- There are more than 106,000 retail stores in Virginia.
What Retail Means to the United States
- Retail is the second largest industry in the United States, both in number of establishments and number of employees.
- The U.S. retail industry generates $3.8 trillion in retail sales annually, approximately $11,690 per capita. The retail sector is also one of the largest world-wide.
- Retail trade accounts for about 12.9% of all business establishments in the U.S. Single store businesses account for over 95% of all U.S. retailers.
Retail Facts & Figures
- In Virginia, retailers experience $16 – $20 million in lost sales due to return fraud.
- Virginia retailers lose $33.5 billion annually due to shrinkage. That number represents 1.4% of retail sales in Virginia.
- In 2010, 7% of retail sales were made online. It is estimated that by 2014, online retail sales will reach $248.7 billion.
Uncollected Sales & Use Tax
According to a study conducted by the University of Tennessee, Virginia lost $131.6 million in uncollected sales and use tax revenue from E-commerce purchases. It is expected that this number could rise to $229.8 million in 2012.